The authentic self is soul made visible. ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
In my last post we chatted about our false selves, our egos and how they take control to limit our possibilities. If you missed that post, you can read it here.
Today, let’s focus on the flip side as we find our Personal Power through our Authentic Selves.
The Loss of Authenticity
Our authentic selves represent our truth, straight from our soul, spirit, Divine self or whatever you’d like to call the energy that is the essence of you. Our true selves live in the energetic systems in our bodies - not in our highly programmed brains.
When we live in and respond as our authentic selves, we are empowered with limitless possibilities.
- We know that we were meant to become and do anything we imagined.
- We know that everything happening in our lives is exactly as it should be.
- We open to new experiences - seeing change as an opportunity for expansion, difficulty as a chance for growth.
When we live in our authentic selves, we know that we can and will Thrive!
We are born as our authentic selves, with all the knowing of our limitless power. We come into this world with clarity and capabilities that are given to us so that we can thrive in our lives. We aren’t meant to suffer, struggle, hate or fear. We are meant to be Unstoppable!
So what the hell happens? Well, we get programmed.
Look at any baby or young child and you’ll see the authentic truth. Curious, insatiable and fearless are a few words that come to mind. Unstoppable too. Kids don’t know they have limits - we teach them those limits. That’s how our false self gets its first foothold.
Then, we have more programming - from others in our world and from life’s events. As we learn more reasons to fear, more reasons to doubt ourselves, we move farther and farther away from our authentic truth.
I can’t help but wonder. If we didn’t get all the original fear programming as kids - the don’ts, musts, shoulds and more - how much more empowered would we be in life? If we were supported in our authenticity, would we live and act as the Divine creators we are, even as the world throws crazy events at us? I think we would.
Unfortunately, until we all learn to empower vs limit our kids - we’ll never know. And so - we must recapture our authentic selves as adults.
We all have authentic moments. You know them well. The song on the radio that lifts your heart, the old movie that makes you warm all over, the simple pleasure of a beautiful sunset over the ocean that relaxes your entire being. Those are moments when you’re in your authentic self.
How do we know when we’re living in our authenticity? There are a few clues. Personally, I feel it in my heart as my energy lifts and I feel joyful and filled with eager anticipation. That’s my soul in charge. Here are some other hints for you:
- You feel yourself expanding, seeing life as bigger and brighter.
- You have a vision, an idea. Your excitement rises, your blood pressure too - you know you can do it!
- You’re open to new ideas and opportunities. Life is to be lived fully!
- You’re living and thriving in the present moment - not worrying about yesterday or tomorrow.
- You’re voices are all about supporting and encouraging you - whatever you want to be.
- You’re ready, willing and even eager to try something new. There is no fail!
- You know that no matter what happens, life is moving forward exactly as it is meant to be.
- You listen to your own inner wisdom, that voice that speaks softly and clearly. You listen and you trust that voice. Forget the loud scary voices - this one speaks with utter knowing.
I’ve learned to recognize my own authentic self when it speaks to me. Among the noise of my scary voices - it speaks clearly and calmly. My true voice encourages me to be all that I can be, supports me in attempting new and exciting things and most of all - it lifts my heart with joy and excitement.
We can also identify our authentic self by the way we feel. We are energetic beings and our energy lives in our bodies. That means our feelings are the messengers from our energetic self. For me - the feelinge between the two extremes are really disctinct. They probably will be for you, too. For example:
- My authentic self lifts me up ‘til I feel I can do anything. My ego makes me feel heavy and drags me down.
- My authentic self gives me limitless energy to fuel my passion. My ego makes me feel so exhausted I don’t want to do anything but dissociate and avoid life.
- My authentic self comes with big smiles and joy. My ego comes with frown lines and a feeling of failure - forever after.
Can we Reclaim Our Authenticity?
You bet! It takes a bit of focus and practice - but we surely can. After all - our authentic self is our truth!
Our truth lives in our energy and our energy speaks through our bodies and our emotions. Our brains only tell us what we’re programmed to believe. We are so much more than that!
In my post, Sensational You, I shared an exercise for feeling into our bodies - into our sensations. That’s one of the keys to finding, and remaining in, our authentic selves. Listening to our bodies - not our programmed brains.
I also just posted a new page here - with four recorded meditations that I find to be powerful in helping me find, and stay in, my authentic self.
Whenever I feel the first flinch of my ego self - the beginnings of the fear, doubts, scary voices and more - I do one of these exercises. As I slow myself down and move out of my brain - deep within my body and energetic self, I find my authentic truth. It’s right there, sitting on the other side of my scary voices, waiting patiently for me to move beyond the programming in my head, to simply listen and feel into my true energetic self, where all of my power lives.
You can find your way to your authentic self and to all the power it brings. We all can. Try the meditations for a week. Learn to listen to your sensations and emotions for your truth.
You can and will begin to leave your fearful brain and those scary voices behind…forever.